Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Awkward loss in the blog family


USS Carl Vinson and Carrier Battle Group - photo by US NAVY

Hear Me Roar's big brother blog, the Photo Fermata, passed away.  I pulled the plug on it last week and it is currently lying in state for viewers.  I will probably bury it in a few months once final arrangements are made.

With the passing of that two-year old behemoth, this blog is in an awkward place.  I created  HMR to be an add-on blog to PF.  This place is a repository of my studies into masculinity and male culture.  For a naval metaphor, PF was the aircraft carrier and HMR is a small corvette supporting the battle group.  It has a small, but important role in the whole fleet.  You would never send a corvette into a theatre alone, where as you can do that with a carrier, if needed.

So, what does this mean for HMRHMR is going to be docked for a bit and will occasionally go out on test runs in the waters of masculinity, masculism, mens' health and rights, but will not replace or substitute the breadth and depth of multiple topics that PF offered.

The main reason I ended PF was my inability to be me at it.  I put up my intimate information, my art, and my thoughts, yet I could not put my name on it and take true ownership of it.  The same goes for this blog, BUT this space is just a small adjunct containing my rants and thoughts and acts as a sounding board or diary.  It is not supposed to be my portfolio or public exhibition of my creations (even though I put a few of my own photos).

So, farewell big brother.  Your shoes are impossible to fill, and to be honest, not my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment